Thursday, October 26, 2006

New to Music - sort of...

I've had a midi keyboard for several years now. I bought it at a Target one day as it was on sale since it was a display item - no box, just the keyboard, a plug in cord, and a manual with a few lessons in it, but for the most part am no musician.

In grade school, I had a few music classes. We had to sing songs and stuff. I vaguely remember having to also use some little wooden sticks, tapping them together to a beat, and using triangles, and some little wooden round gizmo that looked like a roll of toilet paper with a washerboard outside that you could slide the sticks on to get some interesting sounds... and then there was that big ol piano that Mrs. Ridgeway, our music teacher, bless her soul, would pound on as we sang Home on the Range, and various other folk melodies.

Growing up, and in school, I found a love for musicals, and a variety of music oriented entertainment...

In church, I do sing, although not very well. Loudly, maybe, but not very well...

In college, I had theater appreciation and music appreciation classes. I loved them, and really learned a lot about music theory from them, but not nearly enough to be considered a musician.

Anyways, back to the keyboard. When I first got it, I practiced on it for about a half hour a day now and then and got myself to the point that I could almost play Jingle Bells all the way through without too many problems... a few notes may have been off, but it was that I was learning how to master this thing that was cool. That was about 3-4 years ago, and I've let my music skills fall away since that time. I want to start doing that stuff again and get better at it... I'd like to be able to eventualy mix music that I created myself with 3d animation I did myself, and art and theater lighting ideas that I created myself to make emmersive entertainment projects... but that's all sort of still a big pipe dream now. For now, I'm gonna just try to relearn the keyboard on the weekends for a few hours now and then, and get my skills back up to a descent level.

This blog will sort of be a log that keeps track of my progress. Who knows where this will go. I could be the next Music Man, but will probably just be an average Joe, even if I get that good... most musicians practice and practice daily for hours to get really good. I don't know if I can or want to do all of that... either way, we'll see where this goes.... More posts to come. Stay tuned.

No comments: